Monday, July 6, 2009

My Readercon Schedule

.
Just a quick squib today, because I have much, much, much work to do. But if you're going to Readecon this weekend, and would like to meet me, here's where I'll be:

Friday

Either 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM: An Interview With Readercon's Memorial Guest of Honor, Hope Mirrlees, authoress of Lud-in-the-Mist, a book which I and both the living Guests of Honor (Elizabeth Hand and Greer Gilman) all agree was one of the seminal works of 20th-century fantasy, and of "Paris, a Poem," originally published by Virginia and Leonard Woolf's table-top press, long forgotten, and now increasingly recognized as an important modernist work. Miss Mirrlees died in 1978. Not everybody could have arranged this interview.

8:00 PM: The Career of Hope Mirrlees (with Greer Gilman, Elizabeth Hand, Donald G. Keller, and Erin Kissane)

10:00 PM: "Readercon 20 Grand Ceremony" -- It looks like they'll crowd all past and present guests of honor on the stage and we'll wave.

Saturday

11:00: Group (in the sense that Eileen Gunn and I, taken together, are a group) Reading: An untitled but brilliant story about Zeppelins, radio science, and Naked Brains in glass jars.

2:00 PM. The Fiction of Greer Gilman (with Rachel Elizabeth Dillon, Lila Garrott, Donald G. Keller, Faye Ringel, and Sonya Taaffe) Actually, I don't think I have much to say about Greer's fiction, other than, "It's rilly, rilly good." But my fellow panelists are smart and articulate people, so I'll probably just treat this as having a particularly good seat to listen from.

Sunday

12:00 Noon: Outsider Artists and Speculative Fiction (with Greer Gilman, Liz Gorinsky, Elizabeth Hand, James Morrow, and John Shirley) I may be on this panel. It'll be tight because I have obligations in Philadelphia, but we'll see. If I'm there, I'll discuss the original Henry Darger for a bit, and then shut up and listen.

Also, there may or may not be a Kaffeeklatsch. Readercon likes to program these things a little close to the vest.

If you're going to Readercon, and you see me in the hall, stop me and say hello. I'm not stand-offish and, unless I'm on my way to a panel, I don't have anything better to do.

*

No comments: