Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Scribbledehobbledehoyden: The Magpie's Eye: Page 9

.


More notes for an article on my experiences when I was in Chengdu.  This was probably for a column for Science Fiction World, China's (and the world's) biggest science fiction magazine, back when I was a regular columnist for them.

As scribbled, there were three high points of the visit.  One was when I was taken to the panda breeding facility and, without prior warning, found myself with a real, live panda bear sitting on my lap.  One was the evening spent in a tea house, talking with Chinese science fiction writers.  And, as it says, "The third was our own idea."

Nancy Kress and Neil Gaiman and Rob Sawyer and I ganged up to convince our hosts that we'd really, really like to visit the offices of Science Fiction World.  So they took us there, and we snapped each other's photos, and it was a genuine thrill for us.

Not as big a thrill as the panda was.  But close.  Very, very close.

*

No comments: