Friday, February 26, 2016

The Only Serious Drawback to Being a Writer

.



Most of the time, being a full-time writer is a pretty good gig. You get to pick your own hours. Nobody yells as you for staring thoughtfully at a blank wall for an hour or two. Every now and again, somebody buys you a ticket  to Moscow. I put in my years as a cubicle-dweller and I can attest to the superiority of the freelance life.

Except.

Except when you're sick. That's when you miss the nine-to-five grind. Most particularly, that's when you miss sick leave.

I have the grunge. I'll be fine in a day or two. But in the meanwhile, I'm sick... and nobody's paying me for it. I'm losing money!

Sheesh.

I'll see you on Monday.


Above: The fiction factory is closed for the duration. I'm going to crawl back into bed now.

*

2 comments:

Kevin Cheek said...

Take care. I hope you feel better!

Peter D. Tillman said...

Commiseration & empathy, from the bearer of a broken ankle-bone. Well, the low end of the fibula or tibula, whichever is the thinner one. Only took a brief 3.5 hour wait in the clinic for the 10 minute x-ray. Sigh.

Hope yours is better soon. Good bet sooner than my bone knits back. Crud.

But you should see the stylish black Moon Boot I got!

"Life is tough. Then, you die."